Hi list,

We're pleased to share our novel work on channel balance probing.

We account for the first time for parallel channels in the context of
probing, measure the efficiency of a probing attack in a simulator, propose
and evaluate various countermeasures, and discuss the trade-offs they
introduce.

For details, see the blog post:

https://s-tikhomirov.github.io/lightning-probing/

and the paper:

https://eprint.iacr.org/2021/384

Channel probing has been explored previously [1,2,3]. In its simplest form,
probing works as follows. An attacker sends payments with random hashes
(aka probes), which fail either due to insufficient balance, or to
incorrect hash. The attacker then learns the target channel balance with
arbitrary precision by doing binary search over possible balances.

The LN allows a pair of nodes to share multiple (parallel) channels. The LN
uses non-strict forwarding: the sequence of nodes is fixed by the sender,
but routing nodes are free to use any of their channels to the next node.
Non-strict forwarding hinders probing, as the attacker doesn't always know
which channel the probes actually go through.

In this paper, we precisely model parallel channels from the prober's point
of view. In particular, we use a notion of a hop - a pair of nodes sharing
one or multiple channels - and separate channel-level balance bounds from
hop-level bounds. For example: if a probe passed through a target
multi-channel hop, the attacker learns a new lower bound for the hop as a
whole (i.e., _one_ of the channels can forward this amount, but it is
unclear which one). In contrast, if a probe failed at a target hop, the
attacker learns a new upper bound on _all_ channel balances in this hop
(i.e., _none_ of the channels can forward this amount). Besides this core
intuition, our model accounts for channel directions (whether forwarding is
allowed).

We discuss multiple countermeasures, such as deliberately failing payments,
spoofing errors, and introducing delays. While our simulations demonstrate
their effectiveness, we stress that such measures could harm user
experience and be not economically sustainable.

We use an information-theoretical uncertainty metric to measure the
prober's effectiveness. We simulate network delays based on real-world
measurements and prior work. We then track how quickly the attacker yields
balance information depending on what countermeasures routing nodes apply.

We hope that this work helps advance the discussion in the LN community
about the optimal ways to address the trade-offs between privacy, security,
and efficiency.

Kind regards,

Alex, Gleb, and Sergei

[1] Herrera-Joancomartí et al. On the Difficulty of Hiding the Balance of
Lightning Network Channels. https://eprint.iacr.org/2019/328
[2] Kappos et al. An Empirical Analysis of Privacy in the Lightning
Network. https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.12470
[3] Tikhomirov et al. Probing Channel Balances in the Lightning Network.
https://arxiv.org/abs/2004.00333