On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 11:32:27AM +1100, Lloyd Fournier wrote:
> I've been considering the problem of recovering lightning channels after
> losing channel state in a boating accident. The modern way of doing this
> seems to be "static channel backups" -- these are essentially lists of
> channel ids and the nodes you had the channels with.
>
> The idea is that with this backup you can remember who you had channels
> with, connect to them and ask them to force close the channel (can someone
> link me the concrete protocol messages you send to do this?).
>
> It occurred to me that if the lightning protocol were changed slightly you
> could do this without the channel backup at all.

I was re-reading this OP after seeing some of Rusty's concerns later in
the thread and I was wondering why we need to alter funding at all.
We're assuming that when Alice recovers from her backup, she knows her
node_id and has the private key necessary to sign messages for it, so
why can't she sign a message that gets gossiped across the network that
says, "if you have a channel with node_id 0xa11ce, please close it now"?

Maybe the message also includes a signed timestamp or block height so
only channels with funding transactions confirmed before that
time/height get closed, preventing future replays of the message from
closing Alice's later channels opened with the same seed/node_id.

-Dave