Last thought:

suppose you make a Taproot tree with N copies (with different keys) of the
state update protocol.

Then what you can do is use the 1st copy  until you hit MAX_STATE, and then
start signing with the 2nd copy back an state 0 but when you sign with the
2nd copy you *remove* the 1st copy from the taproot tree.

e.g.,

{A:0, B:0, C:0} -> {A:1, B:0, C:0} -> {A:MAX, B:0, C:0} -> {B:1, C:0}...

Then the cut-thru transition

{A:0, B:0, C:0} -> {B:1, C:0}

is valid, but the regression:

{B:N, C:0} -> {A:M, B:0, C:0} is not.

You can take a random path through which leaf you are using which, if
you're careful about how you construct your scripts (e.g., keeping the
trees the same size) you can be more private w.r.t. how many state updates
you performed throughout the protocol (i.e., you can see the low order bits
in the CLTV clause, but the high order bits of A, B, C's relationship is
not revealed if you traverse them in a deterministically permuted order).

The space downside of this approach v.s. the approach presented in the
prior email is that the prior approach achieves 64 bits with 2 txns one of
which should be like 150 bytes, a similar amount of data for the script
leaves may only gets you 5 bits of added sequence space.

--
@JeremyRubin <https://twitter.com/JeremyRubin>