Hi all,

I have a couple questions about the Normal Operation protocol. For the
following, consider a single-hop payment between Alice and Bob over a single
channel.

1) Multiple sources indicate that after Alice sends the `update_add_htlc`, she
should then send the `commitment_signed`, but why is it important that she
sends it first (before Bob)? As far as I understand, as long as she doesn't
revoke the old state before Bob commits to the new state, there shouldn't be a
problem. In that case, the order wouldn't matter---they could even send their
commitments concurrently. So does the order matter?

2) After Bob sends the `update_fulfill_htlc`, both he and Alice exchange
`commitment_signed` and `revoke_and_ack` messages again. Why is this necessary?
After Alice receives the preimage, doesn't she have enough information to claim
her funds (with the new state)?

Thanks!
Ben

--