Hi y'all,

Quick post...

A few weeks ago, some of the dlcspecs developers reached out to ask for
feedback on this PR [1] that attempts to specify a way to send messages
larger
than 65 KB using BOLT 8 (Noise based encrypted transport). After taking a
glance at the PR, I realized that it isn't totally obvious from reading BOLT
8 that it's actually possible to do this w/o adding any new application
layer messages (as the PR proposes).

As I explained in my comment [2], all the sender needs to do is chunk their
messages, and the receiver reads out messages into a read buffer exposed
over
a stream-like interface. This is no different than using TCP/IP to send a 65
KB message over the wire: a series of messages below the Maximum
Transmission Unit at each hop are sent, w/ the receiver
collecting/re-ordering them all before delivering up the API stack.

This was actually in the OG spec, but then was removed to make things a bit
simpler. Here's my commit from way back when implementing this behavior [3].
If we wanted to re-introduce this behavior (so we can do things like
increase the max HTLC limit w/o having to worry about messages being to
large due to all the extra sigs), afaict, we could just add a new wumbo
message feature bit. This bit indicates that a peer knows how to properly
chunk and aggregate larger messages.

[1]: https://github.com/discreetlogcontracts/dlcspecs/pull/192
[2]:
https://github.com/discreetlogcontracts/dlcspecs/pull/192#issuecomment-1171569378