Hey Rusty,

Great to hear that you want to try to implement the proposal. I can polish
my golang proof of concept code a bit and share if that's useful? It's just
doing the calculation in isolation. My next step after that would be to see
what it looks like integrated in lnd.

16 hops sounds fine to me too, but in general I am not too concerned about
the size of the message. Maybe a scheme is possible where the sender
signals the max number of hops, trading off size against privacy. Probably
an unnecessary complication though.

I remember the prepay scheme, but sounds quite a bit more invasive than
just touching encode/relay/decode of the failure message. You also won't
have the timing information to identify slow nodes on the path.

Joost.