Hi Thomas,

First of all, I'd like to highlight something that may not be obvious
from your email, and is actually pretty important: your proposal
requires *senders* to be aware that the payment will lead to a channel
creation (or a splice) on the *receiver* end. In particular, it requires
all existing software used by senders to be updated. For this reason, I
think extending Bolt 12 (which requires new sender code anyway) makes
more sense than updating Bolt 11.

I see only three strategies to provide JIT liquidity (by opening a new
channel or making a splice, I'll only use the open channel case below
for simplicity):

1. Ask receiver for the preimage and a fee, then open a channel and
   push the HTLC amount minus the fee
2. Open a channel, then forward the HTLC amount minus a fee
3. Pre-pay fee, then open a channel and forward the whole HTLC amount
   on that channel

What is currently deployed on the network is 1) and 2), while you're
proposing 3). Both 1) and 2) have the advantages that the sender doesn't
need to be aware that JIT liquidity is happening, and doesn't need to do
anything special for that payment, which is the main reason those
strategies were chosen.

If all you're concerned about is trust and regulation, solution 2) works
fine as long as the mempool isn't empty: if the user doesn't release the
preimage after you've opened the channel, you should just blacklist that
channel, reject payments made to it, and double-spend it whenever you
have another on-chain transaction to make (and use 1 sat/byte for JIT
liquidity transactions). Even if the mempool is empty, if your LSP has
transactions to make at every block, it's likely that it will succeed
at double-spending the faulty channel, and thus won't lose anything.

But I agree that this only works when coupled with 0-conf. If we're not
using 0-conf anymore, pre-paying fees would make more sense. But we will
likely keep on using 0-conf at least until Bolt 12 is deployed, so it
seems more reasonable to include this new feature in Bolt 12 rather than
Bolt 11, since all implementations are actively working on this?

Cheers,
Bastien