Removing the EXTENDER token simply means that a double underscore would be
interpreted as a normal syllable that moves all following syllables one note to
the right. Without a warning. That's definitely a bigger semantic change than
to ignore the command to generate an extender event as we know that the
requested extender event already has been generated.

Aborting compilation with a parser_error() is an option, but definitely not a
friendly one.

---

** [issues:#4509] Enhancement: automatically engrave lyric extenders**

**Status:** Started
**Created:** Sat Jul 18, 2015 03:23 AM UTC by Anonymous
**Last Updated:** Thu Jan 12, 2017 06:02 PM UTC
**Owner:** Alexander Kobel

*Originally created by:* *anonymous

*Originally created by:*
[simon.al...@mail.de](http://code.google.com/u/116549170756205086316/)

Actually, this is a content vs. presentation issue. The current approach has
lyric extenders ‘hardcoded’ within the lyricmode input, whereas often it
depends on layout whether I want an extender printed or not:
– In tight horizontal spacing, we might not need an extender, but when spacing
is stretched, it might become necessary. This can come through different
\(page/line\) breaking, parallel contexts present only in some editions \(part
vs. score\), Completion\_heads\_engraver \(mensural without
barlines/transcription with barlines\).
– Long syllables might not need an extender, where short syllables do.
– Often, all voices share the same text, but have extenders in different
places. If extenders need not be given explicitly, the lyricmode input code can
be reused much easier.

After all, the extenders don’t add any additional meaning, but only serve to
improve legibility in such cases where they do.

This would require:
– Recognising the end of a word by absence of a hyphen.
– Comparing printed length of the melisma notes vs. the syllable, likely after
line breaking. After all, extenders will never influence horizontal spacing.
They might, however, affect vertical spacing. \(unless we chose to omit \(or
shift\) the extender in that case?\)
– Personally, I think very short extenders shouldn’t be printed. There should
be some kind of threshold.
It’s also one of the usecases where a proper representation of a ‘lyric word’
would be helpful, along with [issue 2458](#2458).

Possibly related:
[issue 4098](#4098)

[Version
2.12](http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Aligning-lyrics-to-a-melody#Multiple-notes-to-one-syllable)
 had this listed as a Known issue.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because testlilyissues-a...@lists.sourceforge.net is
subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/

To unsubscribe from further messages, a project admin can change settings at
https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/admin/issues/options.  Or, if this is
a mailing list, you can unsubscribe from the mailing list.