On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Mark Polesky <markpole...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, so many extensive replies to respond to!  It's great,
> but it makes for a long post, and I do hope the thread
> participants read to the end; there's a lot of relevant
> stuff for everyone here.  Thanks.
>
> * * * * * * * * * *
>
> Joe Neeman wrote:
> > I would argue that the baseline is more natural then the
> > bottom.  Moreover, using the baseline as a reference point
> > will result in more even spacing of multiple consecutive
> > lines of markup.
>
> Okay, that's a good point, so I agree -- baseline is better
> than bottom.  But do you agree with Carl and Trevor that we
> should always use the same reference point for markups?  I
> was specifically proposing to use the bottom of the upper
> markup and the top of the lower markup for
> between-title-spacing, but Carl argued eloquently against
> it.  Carl's argument is probably much more solid than mine,
> but just for the record, what do you think?

I don't care so much about one versus two reference points (although the
current code only works with one), but I do think that the reference points
should not depend on any ascenders or descenders.

I've noticed that in many traditionally-engraved scores, the
> distance from the bookTitleMarkup baseline to the first
> system seems to be *independent* of the distance from the
> scoreTitleMarkup baseline to the first system.
>
> For example, say score1 has title/subtitle/etc. in the usual
> place (top center), and piece/opus also in the usual place
> (flush left and flush right just above the top system), and
> the top system has no protruding skyline.  Now score2 has
> all the same titling but the top system has a really high
> note just before the rightmost barline.
>
> To prevent a collision between the last note and the opus,
> LilyPond will shift the first system down.  Fine.  But what
> I've noticed in the classic scores is that in this
> situation, the top system is not shifted down, but rather
> the opus is shifted *up*.  This is an important difference!
>
> It means that the placement of the top system is determined
> by the bookTitleMarkup, and the scoreTitleMarkup is
> determined by the top system.  And it usually looks better
> this way (and more consistent from score to score).  I guess
> I wouldn't be surprised if Joe says that this would be more
> trouble than it's worth*, since it seems to go against the
> whole pattern of the current spacing algorithm, but I think
> it would be a big step towards fully professional-quality
> scores.
>
> *and if he says it would be easy, well that would just make
> my day...

I won't say it's more trouble than it's worth, but I don't think it's
trivial. In lilypond-spacing-backend terms, I think you want to treat the
opus markup as a "loose line."

Cheers,
Joe