On 27 April 2012 08:07, Graham Percival <gra...@percival-music.ca> wrote:

> *sigh*
> I'll rehash an old email.
>

> I know that some of us would like to get paid for lilypond work.
> But I'm leery of jumping into this topic for a few reasons:
>
> 1) lilypond survives because of volunteer work.  I think we should
> be *extremely* cautious about anything which may jeopardize the
> amount of time people volunteer.
>
> 2) if we officially organize these arrangements, there may be
> currency exchange, tax issues, or legal issues that arise,
> particularly given the international nature.  Who gets the money?
> How would it be distributed, if at all?  How much loss to third
> parties is acceptable?
>
> 3) it's not going to be enough.  Companies and government grants
> are where the real money for supporting programmers comes from;
> hiring just one person from individual donations would require far
> more users than we have.

I think that each such contest should be considered separately - it depends
on the number of such activities and possible income. I believe that
Lilypond need some money and contests and grants are quite a good idea of
getting them, don't you think? When "earning for Lilypond" results in
slowdown in developing Lilypond, we should stop, but now - there was no
contest, so no slowdown, therefore, no problem :)

Łukasz