On 21/10/13 09:09, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Good to know, thanks.  [I assume that `overwrite' still somehow
retains the previously version for reference, right?]

In the short term I think so (you'll see stuff in the comment history like "so-and-so commented on an outdated diff"). In the long run it seems to be discarded. You may recall that git periodically collects garbage from the version history, but on a time frame so that even "deleted" material is preserved for at least 1 month -- see:
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-gc.html

So I'm guessing that GitHub preserves this data until git collects the garbage from the repo.