On Nov 2, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Mike Solomon <m...@mikesolomon.org> wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2013, at 1:17 PM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Mike Solomon <m...@mikesolomon.org> writes:
>>

> So this definitely gives a directory with libguile.h in it.  But for some
> reason it’s not found by the configure script.

Some more digging.  When I add:

    AC_MSG_NOTICE($CPPFLAGS)
    AC_CHECK_HEADERS([libguile.h])

to aclocal.m4 around line 694, the printout is:

configure: -I/usr/local/Cellar/guile18/1.8.8/include  -D_THREAD_SAFE
checking libguile.h usability... no
checking libguile.h presence... no
checking for libguile.h... no

but then…

mbp-de-mike:build mikesolomon$ ls /usr/local/Cellar/guile18/1.8.8/include
guile           libguile        libguile.h

I’m stumped.  It is obvious that CPPFLAGS is pointing to a directory with
libguile.h, but AC_CHECK_HEADERS doesn’t find it there. Running as root doesn’t
help.

Does anyone know of diagnostic tools (perhaps a level of verbosity) to help
figure out why configure doesn’t find certain things?

Cheers,
MS