Hi,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Carl Peterson <carlopeter...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Mike Solomon <m...@mikesolomon.org>wrote:
>

>> The only hassle for me, which I did not run up against when I started
>> with the project, is David’s way of communicating.  I’m not claiming this
>> is all on him, but I’m also pretty sure that I’m not the only one who has
>> peaced out because of this.  I am looking for ways for this to no longer be
>> an issue.  I was hoping that branches would go a way towards making this
>> happen for myself and hopefully other developers, but it’s clear that this
>> is not a good idea.
>>
>> In my two day jobs, director of the ensemble 101 and developer for the
>> Guido project, I work with two (very different) teams of people on projects
>> that require creativity, consistency, and tons of communication.  Neither
>> of them has any of this friction resulting from communication issues, both
>> of them enjoy a diversity in major contributions, and both are evolving
>> rapidly and stably in several interesting ways at the same time.  I truly
>> hope that LilyPond can be like that.
>>

> I don't know how you communicate with your other two teams, but the simple
> fact is that email is a terrible method of communication, when it comes to
> the things that you appear to be seeking. An amused or straightforward
> comment can across as harsh or sarcastic when visual and aural cues are
> absent (citing the studies that show that 90% of communication is
> nonverbal, i.e., not connected to the actual words). Some people's manners
> of speech translate into text-only communication better than others', and
> some don't translate at all. I had a boss a couple of years back who could
> be very friendly and personable face-to-face, but unless she was obvious
> happy about something, always came across as stern and upset with the way
> things were done. It happens. But you may already be well aware of all this.

I always feel a bit silly writing emoticons and exclamation points, but
they are nice to see(!)

> It is regrettable that you would let such things interfere with your
> contributions to LilyPond.

Exactly.  Both you and David are invaluable to this project.  I watched the
paralysis set in, the deadlock, and wondered a bit about the future of the
project.  I think there has to be some compromise in this
Apollonian/Dionysian test of wills (to throw in a little pretentiousness).

> Ultimately, it is about the project, not the people. Perhaps
> counter-intuitively, the answer to the problem you perceive is not to
> reduce participation, but to increase participation. In my own case, my
> interactions with David had the effect of getting me more involved in the
> "behind the scenes" workings of the code. Why? So that eventually, David
> won't be able to criticize me for not being willing to "get my hands dirty."

Well, I ordinarily have a bit of a thin skin, and I remember reading
somewhere on the lists that you have to have some nerve to contribute.  My
personal response to the possibility of brutally honest criticism--which is
a necessary thing if this project isn't going to go to hell--is to make
sure I've got everything as polished as I can make it before I make it
public.  And accepting that I've got a lot to learn,  (This is about me,
and is in no way directed at you, Mike.)

However, when the standstill happens, something has to be done.  I'm sorry
that I don't have any solution to offer, other than to try to work together
for the sake of LilyPond,  (Emoticons!  Kidding.)

--David