Hi David (et al.),

> Iterators are not user-definable at the moment.  Either a general
> facility or a more specific "wait-iterator" would seem warranted.
[…]
> it might make more sense to work on actual infrastructure for this
> rather than fudging around with existing facilities not intended for it.

I am one of the biggest cheerleaders of the edition-engraver: I use it on
literally every score I engrave, and likely use it more than anyone with the
exception of Jan-Peter himself. I would like nothing better than to see it
either incorporated into the main Lilypond codebase, or at least coded in the
optimal possible way (from the standpoints of performance, interface, API,
etc.) to integrate as well as possible with Lilypond proper.

Whatever I can do to facilitate this process, please let me know.

Best,
Kieren.