>> > Please give them a try on your system if you're interested in helping
>> > test the release-in-progress. Your feedback is appreciated.
>>
>>It seems that `-dPDFDontUseFontObjectNum` option does not work.
>
> It has been removed, as documented in History9.htm:
>
> 2017-08-02 13:41:59 +0100
> Ken Sharp <ken.sh...@artifex.com>
> ca1ec9b486ddba3f921355fd1d775f27f4871356
>
>     PDF interpreter - remove the PDFDontUseObjectNum switch
>
>     This was implemented to allow us to restore the default behaviour if
>     it caused problems. No real problems reported, so lets get rid of
>     (yet another) of our many, many command line switches.
>

>>`-dPDFDontUseFontObjectNum` is useful to unify duplicate fonts.
>>So I would like to use `-dPDFDontUseFontObjectNum`.
>
> The fonts can't realistically be described as duplicates, if they have
> different object numbers. Or if they are then the original PDF file
> (this only works with PDF input) was poorly constructed. Using this
> option isn't really sensible, it was only ever present in case the
> Font numbering usage went awry. Consider creating the original PDF
> files more efficiently instead.
>
> I'll discuss it with the other developers but I am not inclined to
> restore this. Obviously if you feel its important you can revert the
> change locally.

When you create a PDF document using something like a TeX system
you may include many small PDF files in the main PDF file.
It is common for each of the small PDF files to use the same fonts.

If the small PDF files contain embedded full font sets,
the TeX system includes all of them in the main PDF.
The main PDF contains duplicates of the same full sets of fonts.
Therefore, `PDFDontUseFontObjectNum` can remove the duplicates.
This may considerably reduce the main PDF-file's size.

There is a tool for using this method of removing duplicate fonts.
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/extractpdfmark
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/extractpdfmark
http://packages.ubuntu.com/zesty/extractpdfmark

LilyPond has option `--bigpdfs` for unifying duplicate fonts in this method.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/usage/command_002dline-usage#basic-command-line-options-for-lilypond