Hi everybody!

The removal of the PDFDontUseFontObjectNum option in ghostscript caused a lot
of headache during the last days.

Lilypond provides since early 2015 a way to persuade ghostscript to remove
duplicated fonts from pdfs.
Later the extractpdfmark program was introduced to allow links to other pdfs to
survive this process.
Also the -dgs-never-embed-fonts was introduced to force ghostscript never to
embed fonts.
We also have a -dgs-load-fonts option.

All those options influence important details of our postscript code generation.

For ghostscript versions 9.16 and older --bigpdfs might be used with or without
the -dgs-never-embed-fonts.

For ghostscripts versions 9.17 until the removal of ghostscripts
PDFDontUseFontObjectNum, --bigpdfs might successfully be used with or without
-dgs-never-embed-fonts as long as PDFDontUseFontObjectNum is given to
ghostscript.

For a recent ghostscript without the PDFDontUseFontObjectNum only the combination of lilyponds --bigpdfs with -dgs-never-embed-fonts gives the desired result. The necessity for the extractpdfmark utility has not changed - use it if you link to destinations in other pdf files. Unfortunately our lilypond build system missed to use the --bigpdfs option together with the -dgs-never-embed-fonts.

If other people agree that my patch <https://codereview.appspot.com/325630043/>
solves the problem of exorbitant file sizes, we might live well without ghostscripts
PDFDontUseFontObjectNum.

Knut