Karlin High <karlinh...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/11/2018 12:59 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> we should be able to add code that will run under all versions.
>
> The guile-devel post linked in the OP indicates that Guile 3 should
> have greatly improved performance over Guile 2. Maybe even better than
> LilyPond's current Guile 1.8.
>
> What level of optimism is appropriate for that claim?

Pretty much none I should think.  The performance improvements are for
algorithms implemented in Scheme.  We don't really have them to
significant degree: we do the time-consuming algorithmic stuff in C++.
What gave us the large performance hit for Guile 2 was the interfacing
between C++ and Scheme which we do really a lot.  That has become quite
slower with Guilev2, and part of the reason are strings which are now
utf8-aware while Guilev2 natively does not store strings as utf8 but has
to convert them into other presentations.

--
David Kastrup