(I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed until now.)

Welcome to LilyPond, where you supply the fixes.  Your change looks good
to me, but judging from your questions, it sounds like it could be
tested better.

Have you read the chapter on Regression Tests in the Contributor's
Guide?  You should follow the procedure and check whether your change
has any impact on the MIDI regression tests.  If there are changes, you
should sift through them to make sure the changes are intended.  If
there are no changes, it probably means that the test coverage is poor
(in this case) and you should add your tiny example as a new regression
test.

https://codereview.appspot.com/353790043/