On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 4:43 PM Kevin Barry <barr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Again, I hope I am not unpleasant and polemic
>
> In my opinion, you are being both. If your goal was genuinely to
> encourage improvements in LilyPond, then I hope it's clear from the
> response that you are going about it in a poor way. Acting like it's
> obvious that LilyPond's default font is badly designed is insulting,

I don't think so. Saying that Feta font has many issues, is absolutely not
insulting.
All the fonts on the earth have many issues. If you look at the score of
Debussy, it has *many* and *many* issues, and it was one of the best
engraving techniques at his time.
For example, many excellent engravers do use the "Ped." classical symbol,
IMHO so wide and messy. But they are excellent in any case.
Music engraving is *in itself* an ocean of issues. Doing a good engraving
is something like a Carthusian task and only in recent years things are
generally improved, thanks to the technology.
And we are very far from a shared "standard".

And for the clef test I actually don't
> perceive any real difference other than the "C" for the time signature
> (and again, I prefer the thicker version).

I attach a clearer image of what I consider the issue (this in response to
Han Wen too, because my previous example was not clear). Red lines show how
the two areas overlap.