On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 4:31 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hah...@hahnjo.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 2022-05-19 at 21:50 +0200, Luca Fascione wrote:
> > So I can rely on the build system capturing the resolved path to
> > bison during configure, like it would for CXX/CXXFLAGS?
>
>  [...] you can set all-caps variables of

the programs you want to specify, so for example BISON.

Cool, I'll make sure I understand how the capturing of the configure-time
values works and
use this mechanism then, sounds easy and clean enough.

> > Can't say that I fully understand why we need both URW and Gyre
> > fonts, I might ask Werner at some point.
>
> URW++ and TeX Gyre are LilyPond's default text fonts. The build system
> uses their paths to directly install them alongside LilyPond.

I do follow the rationale for shipping one of the sets, what I'm
confused about
is why _both_, they're the same font set, afaiu (semantically, at least)

> > Where is the testing/detection for Guile set up, roughly?
>
> If you still want to check, it's in aclocal.m4 - the functions
> STEPMAKE_GUILE and STEPMAKE_GUILE_DEVEL.

Great, thanks Jonas.

As a side question, may I ask: I thought I saw commits pass in Colin's
emails
that were indicating GUB and stepmake were being removed,
did I misunderstand what the plan is? Is there a place I can get myself up
speed on this? (just curious, don't have much of an opinion one way or the
other
atm)

Many thanks again Jonas,
this was very useful to me,