On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 12:33 AM Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org> wrote:

> >> You have to check the log files in `lybook-db` to find the problematic
> >> `.ly` file(s).  Does `make test` succeed?  You should actually try that
> >> before running `make doc`...
> >>

> > Interesting -- the CG has make doc show up before make test.  But I
> > appreciate the suggestion, so I decided to restart
> >
> > So I did a make clean, and then a make test.
>
> I've never seen the errors you are reporting – as Dan writes, it may
> be an issue with the `tidy` program.  However, I'm using version 5.4.0
> on my GNU/Linux box while MacPorts offers the more recent version
> 5.8.0; maybe there is indeed a problem in the created HTML code that
> wasn't detected or handled by tidy in earlier versions.
>
> Another possibility is that macOS comes with an ancient `tidy` version
> that doesn't understand HTML 5 stuff like `<figure>`, and you don't
> have installed `tidy` via MacPorts at all.  In this case we have to
> update the `output-distance` script to check the `tidy` version before
> actually using it...

That looks like an issue.    Apparently my 'tidy' is not installed by
MacPorts.

carl@carls-mbp-2 ly % which tidy
/usr/bin/tidy

and

carl@Carls-MBP-2 lilypond % tidy --version

HTML Tidy for Mac OS X released on 31 October 2006 - Apple Inc. build 6141

I didn't see tidy listed as a prerequisite.

After installing tidy in MacPorts, I get

carl@carls-mbp-2 ~ % which tidy

/opt/local/bin/tidy

and

carl@carls-mbp-2 ~ % tidy --version

HTML Tidy for Apple macOS version 5.8.0

I'll try rerunning 'make test' and see where I end up.  I think that you
have clearly helped me identify a problem with tidy.

Thanks,

Carl