On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 10:47 AM Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org> wrote:

> Doing a bit of an internet search it seems this is a bug in the `cp`
> implementation on macOS (as unbelievable it may be, given that `cp` is
> such a fundamental command that exists since decades):
>

> https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/464706/why-do-i-get-bad-file-descriptor-when-copying-using-hardlink-flag
>
> Please read this and check whether you are affected by this problem.
> In case you can confirm the issue please try whether it works if you
> omit the `-l` option in all `cp` calls in my patch.

I checked -- the results of the problem were different for me than for the
bug report.  I got the error message, but the hard link was never copied
(there were not two files with the same inode -- only the original file.

I omitted the '-l' option in the cp calls in the patch.

'make doc' succeeded without any errors, so I thought I had success.  But
it turns out that

a) I appear not to have the .css files copied (at least the output showed
no css -- just basic white screen), and
b) I appear not to have the image files copied (there are no images that
show up in any of the pages accessible from www-out/offline-root).

Does it make sense to try again with the xargs part of the patch, but using
the GNU cp and find?

Carl