Rambling here :

So, I *love* the simplicity and elegance of the \after command and I
am using it pretty much everywhere.

{
  <>(
  <>\<
  \after 2 \>
  \after 16*15 )
  \after 16*15 \!
  \repeat unfold 8 {e''16 d''} |
}

and since then I often end up doing head math to figure out what I
must add to \after for it to end up e.g. an 8th *before* the end of
the expression. In the above example it is quite easy :
a 16th before the end is... 16*#(- 16 1).

So what about a \beforeLast command that would do sort of the \after
job but starting from the end of the expression rather from the start
?
e.g. :
\beforeLast 16 \!

…
\pænultimus 16 )
\preantepenultimate 16 \!
^ Both above are strictly for laughing usage (provided it could have
such effect).

Should I :
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/new
and flag as Enhancement ?