I had a similar question a while back [1], which Harm kindly solved.
Try something like this (it should work in older versions of lilypond):

%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
\version "2.23.10"

\header {
  title = "Odhekaton"
  composer = "Obrecht"
  piece = "Alto"

}

\paper { ragged-right = ##t }

\score {
  \new MensuralVoice = "alto" {
    \clef "petrucci-c2"
    \time 2/2
    %\set Score.timing = ##f

    \override NoteHead.style = #'petrucci
    % \override SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration =
                  #(ly:make-moment 1/4)
    % \override Score.SpacingSpanner.strict-note-spacing = ##t
    \override Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment = 1
    \override Score.SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration =
                  #(ly:make-moment -3)
    \override Score.SpacingSpanner.common-shortest-duration =
                  #(ly:make-moment 8)

    %% play around with below, probably useful are settings between 2
and ~10
    \override Score.SpacingSpanner.shortest-duration-space = #3

    \hide Score.BarNumber {
      \cadenzaOn
      d'\breve
      c'\breve
      \[ d'1\melisma f'1. \melismaEnd \]

      e'2 d'1 c'1. d'2 e'1 f'2. e'4 f'4 g'4 a'1 g'4 f'4 e'2
      d'1 c'2 d'1. c'4 b4 c'\longa

\layout { }

To my eye, the COP ligature is still taking too much space, but I hope
this is a good start.

-- Graham

[1]
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-10/msg00454.html