From: Xavier Scheuer <x.sche...@gmail.com>
Sent: 14 May 2024 15:15
To: Giles Boardman <giles.board...@hotmail.co.uk>
Cc: lilypond-user@gnu.org <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Naming lines of music

On Tue, 14 May 2024 at 15:43, Giles Boardman
<giles.board...@hotmail.co.uk<mailto:giles.board...@hotmail.co.uk>> wrote:

> Thanks again Xavier. You are very patient - I have just sat down at my
> up-to-date computer and the difference between the versions' functionality is
> enormous. If I'd realised, I would have bitten the bullet and had fewer
> questions and taken up less of everyone's time. My apologies. Out of
> interest, is there somewhere that tells me the last version of Lilypond that
> would run on Windows 8.1. Perhaps there is a sweet spot for me - my layout
> requirements are largely satisfied by these very simple layouts.

Hello,

Well apparently Jean added the sentence "(Windows 7 and Windows 8 are not
supported)" for 2.24.0.
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commit/c9fa78c28d26661f1176bd8e1b13c574e71e9664

That being said, LilyPond >2.24 does not support Windows <8.1 mainly because
Microsoft itself has ended support for Windows 8.1.
Maybe LilyPond 2.24 or 2.25 still do run on Wondows 8.1. Have you tested?

Kind regards,
Xavier