Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> >> latex sample2e
>   Prints out some lines and generates files files sample2e.{dvi,log,aux}

Yes, this all works now. It was the optimization causing core dumps.

> set the environment variable CXXFLAGS to '-I/usr/local/teTeX/include'
> and LDFLAGS to '-L/usr/local/teTeX/lib', remove config.cache and
> rerun configure. (Didn't I tell you to set these variables?)

You did, but I didn't understand that they were in the environment for configure
to pick up. I thought you were talking about editing Makefiles. I'll try that now.

Well, whaddya know!? It configured. Only one peculiar region of configure output:

     checking for guile-config... guile-config
     ./configure: !: not found
     checking Guile version...  1.4
     checking for Guile... ./configure: !: not found
     yes
     checking for guile... /usr/local/bin/guile
     checking for kpathsea/kpathsea.h... no
     checking for kpse_find_file in -lkpathsea... yes

Now I'll really get daring and try *building* it!

--
Jack J. Woehr      # Politicians are the same all over:
Senior Consultant  #  they promise to build a bridge