Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

>Paul Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>>It would be quite logical if there were an equal probability of notes
>>in a composition being in or out of the  current key.
>>

>Maybe it's a language question.  In Dutch, the name of an f-sharp is a
>fis; it's quite unnatural (an uncommon) to refer to an f-sharp as 'f',
>regardless of what key it's in.

The language point of view would be the same for English.

>>Even though it's not exactly comparing apples to apples, in Finale the
>>entered notes are automatically in the current key and extra clicking
>>raises or lowers the pitch.  In my example I would type 'f' plus some
>>modifier to get f natural or f double sharp.
>>

>Ah.  Are you certain that, if you think about it, you are not
>confusing `quite logical' with `more like Finale happens to do it'?

By quite logical I meant the least work.  Finale and some other GUI
programs do it that way to save work.  I have just installed RoseGarden
and I see that it has a 'Follow key' button.

>It may indeed be a bit apples and oranges, in LilyPond (or text entry,
>ftm), you have to name a note.  Then, it's not logical to use give a
>wrong name.

Agreed that there is a logic problem there but saving work is also
logical.  Perhaps entering in solfeggio mode would be useful but I was
not trained that way.

> If you select a note in a GUI program, it's logical for
>the program to suggest the most probable one.
>
>I think we used to have a special entry mode for this, called it
>`viola mode' (I don't know the key we're in, but the sheet music I'm
>copying from says `f' at this point, not `#f' :-), but I can't seem to
>find it anymore.

That might useful but at least now I know the rules and can do what I
need to get the work done.

Thanks for your work in this.

>>p.s. I am getting two copies of everything from this thread.  The
>>first one of each pair lacks the last three identification lines.
>>

>You shoud set your Mail-Followup-To: header.

Are you referring some particular software.  I use Mozilla mail-news and
don't know what that option means.  Why would this only be happening in
this thread?

Thanks,

Paul