Hi James,

I'm not sure about that advantages of using grid lines.
How about something like:

\version "2.19.17"

musicA = {
  c'4 c' c' c'
}

musicB = {
  b4 b b c'''
}

verticalLine = ^\markup {
  %% to cross staves simply add:
  \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0)
  \center-column {
    \arrow-head #Y #UP ##t
    \draw-dashed-line #'(0 . 10)

myArrow = #(define-music-function (parser location arg-arrow) (number?)
     #{
       -\markup {
          %% to cross staves simply add:
          \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0)