After recently asking about the use of \repeat inside \parallelMusic I
was recommended to download to the latest "development" version of
Lilypond.  At the time I said I wouldn't do this, but would wait for the
next "stable" version.

But shortly afterwards, I realised that I needed to use \alternative
after a repeat.  With the version I was using, 2.18.0, this was going to
be a nightmare or perhaps impossible, whereas I had already been shown
that in a later version it was easy to make things work.

So I decided to "bite the bullet", and downloaded and installed the
latest version, 2.19.24.  I then used convert-ly to update the files I
was working on.

Result?  A very satisfied user!  The result has been an overwhelming
success, and has saved me a lot of messing about trying to get things
working in 2.18.0 which have already been immeasurably improved in later
versions of Lilypond.

Why am I writing this?  Simply to encourage any other user who might
benefit from using a later version than the "stable" one.  Of course
there is the possibility that some as yet unnoticed bug might rear its
head at some point, but let's face it, even release issues of most
software have the odd bug somewhere.

It is that word "unstable" that put me off!  Now that I have used
2.19.24 and entered another 30-odd pages of string quartet with no
problems, I shall be less chicken-hearted about using development
versions in future.

David