  From: David Nalesnik
  To: Simon Albrecht
  Cc: lilypond-user
  Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 11:58 PM
  Subject: Re: Text centralized above a TextSpan

  Hi,

  Alright!  This should do it...

  You can:

  --Adapt this for versions < 2.19.27 with a loss of overriding power (style,
dash-fraction, etc.)--see comments beginning in line 435

  --Use/mix markups and strings.

  --Specify any number of texts >= 2 for your spanner.

  --Break it across an arbitrary number of lines, with an acceptable
distribution.

  --Use spacers ("") to force texts closer/farther apart.  You can also move
them like this:
  \markup \translate [...]
  \markup \right-align [...]
  etc.

  --Override the number of texts per line if you don't like the automatic
distribution.  There's a warning if the numbers don't tally.

  --Specify which texts will be joined by a line and which won't using
TextSpanner.connectors. I noticed this request in another related thread:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user%40gnu.org/msg103939.html

  The default is to join everything, and we revert to that with a warning if
you specify too few connections. (Full disclosure: you can't hide one half of a
line crossing a break and show the other half, but unless there's some pressing
need, I'm going to forget I noticed this....)

  --Change the distance from text to line with TextSpanner.line-offset, which
defaults to #'(0.0 . 0.0).

  Additionally, there are warnings for overlaps.  There's no attempt at fixing
these.  I wouldn't know how to influence spacing.

  By the way, is there a way to get spacing to accommodate really long
left/right texts with ordinary TextSpanners without resorting to
\newSpacingArea, manual breaks, and the like?  I don't find a mechanism:
\textLengthOn doesn't seem to work...

  Enjoy--
  David

  P.S.  One area of further improvement would be the input syntax.  Any
suggestions for making this more user-friendly?  I can't figure out how to get
markups to process properly without that off-putting

  #(list #{ \markup "foo" #} )

  construction.

  %%%%%%%