Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie here, so please bare with me ;-)

I already spent a couple of hours, reading all manuals and mailing lists,
trying to engrave something as simple as this:

Notice: the "full-measure rests" are not shown in the screenshot (beginner
piano book), but I want to engrave them anyway. Result: please check lilypond
attachment.

2 problems:

1.cross-staff slur:
a. using the list archive, apparently a possible solution is changing staffs.
I'm changing staffs from "right/upper" to "left/under" after note "c4", and
then I write final note "b2." By doing that, apparently
there is also an empty 4th measure added automatically to the "right" staff. I
did not expect that, because I wanted to put a rest "R2."in that measure, by
changing back from "left" to "right" after I wrote final note "b2.",
but clearly that does not give me the desired result.

b. It _does_ give a cross-staff slur, but it is not as "nice" as the one in the
screenshot. That one starts somewhere at the half of the stem of "f4" and ends
above lyric "round" that is centered above final note "b2.". How can that
be accomplished? But first the lyrics question...

2. lyrics
a. I have trouble finding a solution for the lyrics: I want a dash between e.g.
"Rid" and "ing" (one syllable per note) as in the screenshot, but the slur
between "e4" and "g2" prevents me from getting the desired result. If I remove
those round
brackets (slur), I'm still not getting "Rid - ing" but "Riding" in one word
without a dash. How can that be accomplished?

Thanks in advance!
Jurgen L.
\version "2.18.2"

right = << \relative c' {
  \tempo "Gracefully"
  \clef "treble"
  \key c \major
  \numericTimeSignature \time 3/4
  e4( g2)  |%m1/right
  g4( e2)  |%m2/right
  f4( d c  |%m3/right
  \change Staff = left
  b2.)     |%m4/left
  %\change Staff = right
  %R2.      |%m4/right
}
  \addlyrics {
    Rid -- ing | riding, | 'round and a round
  }

left = \relative c' {
  \clef "bass"
  \key c \major
  \numericTimeSignature \time 3/4
     R2. |%m1/left
     R2. |%m2/left
     R2. |%m3/left
     %b2. |%m4/left -> changed to left from right
}

pianoPart = \new PianoStaff \with {
  instrumentName = "Pno."
} <<