Thanks for the response.  It hadn't occurred to me to look in \paper
variables for 'footnote-separator-markup', though it probably should
have done.

Similarly, it hadn't occurred to me simply to put the asterisk into the
footnote string, even though this should have been an obvious solution!
I think I was mystified by that fact that Lilypond prints its default
mark in the text, but if you change that default, it doesn't.  Somehow
that stopped me seeing the obvious.

Thanks again.

David