Hi Graham,

> I've just realised that, under my system as I described it, a part could have
> the same bar number twice.

My proposed solution would be an “analytic continuation” (to borrow a
mathematical term) of the non-polymetric measure numbering scheme:

1. A “reference context” would be established (in the case of “The Country
Wife", the PianoStaff), and the base measure numbers would be generated in that
context;

2. All other contexts would use the base-context measure number when and only
when the barlines align; otherwise, each context would use (e.g.) 38A, 38B, …
to indicate measures which begin within the moment encompassed by the reference
measure.

I think such a system would be >95% sufficient.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kieren.