Alberto,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Simon Albrecht-2 [via Lilypond] <
ml-node+s1069038n183480...@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

On 12.11.2015 16:52, Alberto Simões wrote:

> > Hello, Simon!
> >
> > On 12/11/15 11:21, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> >>
> >> Two annotations:
> >> – Sometimes it would be nice to have whiteout for DynamicTextSpanner
> >> against SpanBar; I don’t quite know the best way to do it, though.
> >> Perhaps you could use \markup\whiteout-box on the individual text bits?
> >
> > I didn't understand it very well. You are saying the text from
> > crescendo/decrescendo and the -- -- are too close?
>
> No, I meant overlaps as in valse 1, m. 39/40. The following works fine:
> %%%%%%%%%%%%
> \version "2.19.31"
> \new PianoStaff <<
>    \new Staff {
>      \partial 8
>      8-\tweak bound-details.left.text \markup\whiteout "cresc." \cresc
>      4 4 4\!
>    }
>    \new Staff {
>      8
>      4 4 4
>    }
>  >>
> %%%%%%%%%%%
> In 2.19.32, it will be possible to specify padding in whiteout-box (as
> of issue 4504). That will be preferable then, but for now
> whiteout-outline is just fine. (try \whiteout-box instead of \whiteout
> to test)

I've finally gotten around to looking at the score in more detail and here
are a few more things I've found to improve things:

1. In addition to Simon's suggestions for improving the appearance of the
dynamics when clashing with barlines, a couple of other options are to
choose between the general

\override DynamicTextSpanner.whiteout-box = #3

or changing each individual text (where necessary) to

\markup { \override #'(thickness . 3) \whiteout-box \italic "TEXT" }

Those two settings seemed to work really well on my computer. I found that
\whiteout-box gave more reliable results than \whiteout.

2. Valse 1 m.58 beat 2, f in chord should be fis

3. Valse 3 m.47 move the dynamic "f" left so staves can be closer together
using \once \override DynamicText.X-offset = #-2 just before the note it is
linked to.

That's about all for now. Hope that helps.

- Abraham