On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 17:12 +0100, Urs Liska wrote:

> Am 03.12.2015 um 17:10 schrieb Graham King:
>

> > On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 16:57 +0100, Urs Liska wrote:
> >
> > > Ah, forgot: the ending function would also have to be written
> > > before the syllable, so
> > >
> > > Three \foo deaf and \bar blind mice are \foobar alive.
> > >
> > > should return
> > >
> > > Three [deaf and blind] mice are [alive]
> > >

> > Uh, no.  I'd like it to return
> >     Three [deaf and] blind mice are [alive]
> >
> > That's the bit I'm struggling with.
>

> You can't do that (I think). But I don't see a problem with writing
> the function before the syllable.
> Or what am I missing?

I've got a lot of music with

foo = \override LyricText.font-shape = #'italic
bar = \revert LyricText.font-shape

and I'd like to redefine foo and bar to replace the italics with
[bracketed text].  And to switch between italics and brackets easily.
Apologies: I should have made that clear at the top of the thread.

I might just have to redefine the syntax altogether, so that I can say
something like:
Three \foo { deaf and blind } mice.
Going quiet for a bit while I think about that...