Coincidentally with Message-ID: <56ae6df7.8010...@gmx.de>
> It also seems to move the bar number down. Does anybody know why?
I also have a bar number which moves down for some reason.

The attached snippet shows the problem. Commenting out the \layout
with % {  →  %{ fixes the bar number but I lose my fermatas (both
cases attached).

I'm not familiar with the action of Staff_collecting_engraver,
but I have a feeling the answer/workaround might lie in the page
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/outside_002dstaff-objects

Cheers,
David.
\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

\header { tagline = ##f }

\paper { #(set-paper-size "a7") }

% {
\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove Mark_engraver
    \remove Staff_collecting_engraver
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists Mark_engraver
    \consists Staff_collecting_engraver
%}

pauseonbarline = {
  \once \override Staff.RehearsalMark.break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
  \mark \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.ufermata" }
}

global = { s1 s1 \break s1 \pauseonbarline s1 \break s1 s1 \bar "|." }

ss = { c''1 c'' c'' c'' c'' c'' }
aa = { e'1 e' e' e' e' e' }
tt = { g1 g g g g g }
bb = { c1 c c c c c }