This looks like a bug to me. I can't find any workaround for v2.19.
With v2.18, not nice but works:

\version "2.18.2"
\paper {
  left-margin = 5\mm
  right-margin = 5\mm
  ragged-right = ##t
}
\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
theLyrics = \lyricmode {
  \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
  \once \override LyricText.X-extent = #'(0 . 72)
  Rest_eternal_grant_unto_them,_O_Lord,_and_let_light_perpetual
  shine on
}
notes = \relative c'' {
  \time 1/1
a1
  \once\override Staff.BarLine.extra-offset = #'(5 . 0)
  \time 2/8
a8[( c]) \break
  \time 1/4
a4