On 25/05/16 07:05, Johan Vromans wrote:
> Since we're OT anyhow...
>
> On Tue, 24 May 2016 13:58:48 +0100
> Anthonys Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Not a modern phenomenon. A lot of Baroque parts are almost unsingable in
>> the original pitch because they were written for A=400 or somesuch.
>
> Why are they almost unsingable? They were sung at the time they were
> written. Did the human voice get higher since?
>
> Just curious.

Maybe I didn't word it very well. Take a Baroque part, written for eg
A=400, and try and sing it at the modern A=440 without transposing it.

Painful ... in other words the pitch has risen but, obviously, our
voices haven't risen with it.

Dunno why I was doing it, but I discovered all this from Wikipedia some
time ago. Iirc A=440 is the original ISO standard number 1 :-)

Cheers,
Wol