On Wed 14 Sep 2016 at 12:04:30 (+0200), Simon Albrecht wrote:
> On 14.09.2016 09:46, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
> >Hi James,
> >
> >See:
> >http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#multiple-syllables-to-one-note

That's elision (if that's the correct term), something quite different.
It implies that you barrel through the a and e to get to the i.

> ><mailto:jimeven...@gmail.com>>:
> >
> >    Can I put a tie between words in lyrics?  In choral music, I've
> >    noticed that the composer will sometimes use this notation to
> >    indicate that the singer is not to breathe in-between two
> >    particular words.  I've looked around, but the only examples I've
> >    seen of ties used in Lilypond are between notes.
> >

> IIUC you meant two words on two notes without a breath inbetween, right?

Correct. Attached is what must be one of the most eyeballed instances.
My workaround is:
 high~ in
or even:
 high~ ~in
if there's a line break involved. But a real, breakable one would be great.

Cheers,
David.