Or even:

\version "2.19.48"

longInstrumeentNameFontSize = 6
shortInstrumeentNameFontSize = -3

\layout {
    \context {
    \Staff
    \override InstrumentName.after-line-breaking = #(lambda (grob)
       (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'long-text
          (markup #:fontsize longInstrumeentNameFontSize (ly:grob-property
grob 'long-text)))
      (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'text
          (markup #:fontsize shortInstrumeentNameFontSize (ly:grob-property
grob 'text)))

      )
    }
}