Hi,

Thank you very much for some very useful suggestion. I'll reply to the
rest later, but I have one "objection" (I could probably have
mentioned that in my first post):

On 15 October 2016 at 01:22, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:

>> Is there a way to make this both appear correctly and play correctly
>> in a midi file?
>
> Similar to an earlier question, no, MIDI doesn't honor or respect repeats.

This is not entirely true. I happily use a super easy way to make this work:

    melody = {...}
    \unfoldRepeats { \melody }

to generate the MIDI file and for simple repeats like

    \repeat volta 2 {...} \alternative {{...}{...}})

that simply works perfect.

Below is the general structure I use.

melody = {...}
basses = {...}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<

  \layout {}
}

\score {
  \unfoldRepeats {
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Voice = "melody" {
        \set Staff.midiInstrument = "accordion"
        \melody
      }
      \new Voice = "basses" {
        \set Staff.midiInstrument = "accordion"
        \basses
      }

  }
  \midi {
    \tempo 4 = 160
  }
}

I'm just saying that it would be awesome if I could convince
\unfoldRepeats to be able to obey some more complex scenarios. (But I
believe that tagging will do the trick.)

Mojca