On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 7:49 AM, David Kastrup [via Lilypond] <
ml-node+s1069038n195993...@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> > By the way, the top position with 369 double backslashes is this piece:
> > https://github.com/MutopiaProject/MutopiaProject/
> blob/master/ftp/BachJS/BWV830/BWV-830/BWV-830-lys/BWV-830.ly
>
> This particular one is... horrific.

Wow. Amen to that.

> One thing that is obvious that \relative pitch is a real mess to keep
> track of in this kind of highest/lowest/high/low scheme.  It works quite
> more natural in high-to-low stackings.

Like I said before, I personally have no qualms with the format of the
current << \\ \\ \\ ... >> syntax. I use it in piano scores all the time,
but never when working with associated lyrics because I understand the what
the syntax does under the covers. You use it enough and it's not so
confusing any more.

That being said, I really like the idea of changing the order of voices so
they can be input from high-to-low and the common use of \relative mode
would suggest that is an improvement over the current form.

I'd also like to re-iterate the need to have this vertical hierarchy apply
to the rests in those respective voices so that the "inner" voices' rests
get pushed inwards as well, or at least towards the vertical position of
where their notes are. I realize this is likely no small undertaking and I
can make due without it. Maybe one day I can even get into the details
myself and implement it myself. Who knows...

Best,
Abraham