Read the docs is based on sphinx which is python's documentation generator (
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/1.4.9/). As for website design, the layout
design is fine with me as long as it has new styling like I have done (not
that I am saying that mine should be chosen). I am going to work on
incorporating this new design into the actual generated docs.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Andrew Bernard <andrew.bern...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Since the website has suddenly come up again as a topic, while I disagree
> with a lot of the talk here, allow me for once to say something positive.
> Concerning the documentation on the website, this has always been a good
> idea because it is indexed by search engines – I often find it is easier to
> google a search for something in the lilypond manuals than using other
> ways! So keeping the documentation online, and building it from the source
> code in an automated process is an excellent design criterion.
>
> In terms of ‘modernity’ which people seem to be keenly interested in [I am
> not convinced that this is a primary goal of web development, as more often
> than not modernity is mere ephemeral fashion], then I would like to point
> out that there is an excellent open source solution for online
> documentation called ReadTheDocs.
>
> http://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
>
> Since I believe one should put one’s money where one’s mouth is (!) I
> would be very happy to investigate this solution and code and implement it,
> and maintain it for the lilypond community.
>
> As another point, in relation to renovated websites, the Haskell
> programming language website has had a recent makeover very much in line
> with the ideas people are discussing here. Similarities abound – Haskell is
> a superb open source Functional Programming language, that like lilypond,
> has no commercial basis, but does seek to increase its industry mindshare,
> at which it is becoming increasingly successful.
>
> https://www.haskell.org/
>
> Andrew

John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist
Boston, MA USA
http://jmroper.com/