Hi Jacques,

my first instinct (given my very limited experience with mensural notation
or as a music historian) is that this is a transcription error. The
historical time signatures of mensural music did not include a symbol for
4/2: there were either three or two semibreves to a bar, and these were
subdivided into either three or two minims. The C and slashed-C signatures
we have today both derive from the sign that indicated two semibreves
divided into two minims each. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensural_notation#Mensurations.

But on the other hand, mensural notation sometimes got really avant-garde:
the Squarcialupi Codex is full of pieces with notation that appears in no
other sources, and which is often explained on the verso of the page. My
advice would be to find an edition that gives a sample of the original
notation, and adjust your modern notation accordingly. In this case, I'd
probably reduce all note-values by half and keep the slashed-c in the time
signature.

But like I said: my own expertise in this area is rather limited.

Cheers,