Mats Bengtsson wrote:

I recommend to use the Templates from the web page as a starting point (integrated into a chapter called "Example templates" in the manual from version 2.4). Especially, you could start from the template called melody-lyrics-chords.ly

I also recommend you to have a look at the Mutopia website (http://www.mutopiaproject.org). There you will find a lot of scores with their source in Lilypond format being freely available to download. I have got in the past years a lot of useful hints by studying some of them.

Regards,
  Maurizio.

Maurizio Tomasi
Via Newton, 6