> Given how annoying I found the process of figuring out the notes from a
> tablature source, I am somewhat surprised that nobody considers this
> aspect of the example I posted worth commenting on.

Speaking only for me, probably because I am a classical guitarist,
I'm used to decipher many sorts of historic tablatures.
Mostly italian and french tablatures. The tablature used by Luis
Milan. Alfabeto Italiano, etc.
Not to mention german tablature, though I never understood german
tablature, or more precisely I never _wanted_ to...

Studying those deeply, gives me a better feeling how to perform the
music, with regard to note-durations, voices, polyphony, etc

As you write yourself:

> Of course, getting good notes out requires _more_ than this since the
> tablature only shows note starts, not note ends.  That makes it easy to
> enter everything as one voice, but in a proper note rendition one would
> want to let a number of notes have longer note values and use multiple
> voices.

As a performer I'm not very interested in modern typeset tablatures.
Ofcourse I'm aware many people are. I mostly do tablature work, when
answering user-requests on the list, lol.
So I'm sure your "tab-input-mode" will find lots of enthusiastic users.

Best,
  Harm