Hi, Urs/Andrew/Johan!

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 6:10 AM, Urs Liska [via Lilypond] <
ml-node+s1069038n202164...@n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Am 11.04.2017 um 13:03 schrieb Johan Vromans:
> > On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 12:09:41 +0200, "N. Andrew Walsh"
> > <[hidden email] <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=202164&i=0>>
> wrote:
> >
> >> thanks for the link. I only needed the font for specific glyphs (sharp
> >> signs and the like), which I presume are individual glyphs that would
> >> still work within a body of regular text, yes?
> > Would Bravura be an option then?
> > It's open source, very complete, SMuFl, and can be used from all
> standard
> > software.
>
> Doesn't the "text" part of SMuFL look like it's what one would need for
> that purpose?

That's precisely what BravuraText (or any other [SMuFL]Text font) was
designed for, so most of the glyphs are re-positioned/sized to follow the
normal text baseline rather than their music positioning and size. They
usually have zero-width side bearings, though, so you'll need to add some
manual space around each symbol.

There's still the issue with actually getting the symbol as a unicode char.
Whether you use Bravura, Emmentaler, or virtually any other
non-Sibelius/Finale/etc. font, you'll may need to use some character viewer
to be able to view+select+copy+paste it into your editing app. On the one
hand, if you did want to use BravuraText, I suggest going to the SMuFL
gitbook <https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/> which uses real characters
at their real code points which you can select+copy+paste just like normal
text. You just need to have a SMuFL font installed like BravuraText to
render the character correctly. I've done that many times.

HTH,
Abraham