On 10/31/17 7:19 PM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
On 31.10.2017 18:09, pkarl wrote:
I'm trying to figure out the correct way to have LilyPond, v2.19.53, generate the attached score, which is for an instrument and a singer, but the singer doesn't sing all the notes that the instrumentalist plays. Furthermore, the last thing before the singer tacet's is a melisma.

My first naive attempt was:

Music = \relative c'' { c4 d e f    c d e f    r d e f    c d e f }
Lyrics = \lyricmode { do re mi fa __ _ _ _ _
    \repeat unfold 3 { \skip 1 } sol la ti do }
\score {
    \new Staff \Music
        \addlyrics \Lyrics
}

The correct way would be

Music = \relative c'' {
  c4 d e f\melisma
  c d e f\melismaEnd
  r d e f
  c d e f
}
Lyrics = \lyricmode {
  do re mi fa __
  _ _ _
  sol la ti do
}
\score {
  \new Staff \Music
  \addlyrics \Lyrics
}

Best, Simon

It may be the correct way, but the drawback seems to be that it doesn't work.  At least on my Mac running OSX 10.11.6 and LilyPond v 2.19.53.

I ran your suggested solution, named SimonAlbrechtsSolution.ly, via Frescobaldi.  I am attaching the LilyPond file, the output pdf, and a screenshot of the LilyPond log file.  You will note in the pdf that the melisma extender does not stop at the end of measure 2 but continues right through measure 3.  I need it to stop at the end of measure 2.

May I ask what version of LilyPond you ran your solution on?

\version "2.19.53"

%{
On 31.10.2017 18:09, pkarl wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the correct way to have LilyPond, v2.19.53, generate
> the attached score, which is for an instrument and a singer, but the singer
> doesn't sing all the notes that the instrumentalist plays. Furthermore, the
> last thing before the singer tacet's is a melisma.
>
> My first naive attempt was:
>
> Music = \relative c'' { c4 d e f    c d e f    r d e f    c d e f }
> Lyrics = \lyricmode { do re mi fa __ _ _ _ _
>     \repeat unfold 3 { \skip 1 } sol la ti do }
> \score {
>     \new Staff \Music
>         \addlyrics \Lyrics
> }

The correct way would be
%}

Music = \relative c'' {
  c4^\markup { "Simon Albrecht's solution" } d e f\melisma
  c d e f\melismaEnd
  r d e f
  c d e f
}