Okay, mee too:

Mackensen, ethymolologic dictionary says:

Mädchen, since middle of 17th century simplified from "Mägdchen",
diminuative from "Magd"

The latter only today is a farm maid, in former times it was an unwedded
woman. See in a german christmas carol, the text is (about the virgin
birth of Mary) "... und blieb ein reine Magd." (Es ist ein Ros
entsprungen, Michael Praetorius, 1571-1621).

I agree, the "Mägdchen" is not in use today.

Werner