Arrgh. I may not have resolved my issue (or, there's something going on
here I don't understand).

Here's an example:

\version "2.19.80"

\relative c'' {
\time 4/8

%1-2
 R2*2

 | %3
 <<
   { a,16\cresc\( d~ d4.\) }
   \\
   { a8~ a4. }

 | %4
 <<
   { a16\( d f4.\) }
   \\
   { a,8~ a4. }

 | %5
 <<
   { \tuplet 3/2 { a16\( d f } a4.\) }
   \\
   { a,8~ a4. }

 | %6
 <<
   { \tuplet 6/4 4 { a16\( d f a d f } a4\!\) }
   \\
   { a,,4~ a }

 | %7
 <<
   { d''8~\decr d4. }
   \\
   { d16 g,~ g4. }

 | %8
 d32\( a'16.~ a4.\)

 | %9
 <<
   { a8~ a4.\! }
   \\
   { \tuplet 3/2 { a16 e cis } a4. }

 | %10
 <<
   { a,16\<\( d~ d4.\!\) }
   \\
   { a8~ a4. }

}

Here, the \cresc command creates a dynamic as text without issue (from bar
3 to 6). However, the \decr command, from bar 7 to 10, does not, and I get
the error about an unterminated decrescendo I posted previously.

So what am I doing wrong here?

Cheers,

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 2:54 PM, N. Andrew Walsh <n.andrew.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 2:44 PM, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>

>> How about giving an example actually showing the problem you are talking
>> about?
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>>

> Fair enough. And as it turns out, when I add a \! statement later on in
> that voice, the error disappears and it draws a crescendo and decrescendo
> as desired.
>
> Sorry for the noise.
>
> Cheers,

Liebe Kollegen, liebe Freunde,
meine neue Handynummer ist die (+49)-0177-7368-393. Bitte die alte nicht
mehr benutzen: sie wird Demnächst™ stilllegen.

Dear Friends and Colleagues,
my new cell number is (+49)-0177-7368-393. Please discard the old one: it
will be disabled Soon™.